Health Impact Researcher
Since 2000 HBN has defined the leading edge of healthy building practices that increase transparency in the building products industry, reduce human exposures to hazardous chemicals, and create market incentives for healthier innovations in manufacturing. We are a team of researchers, engineers, scientists, building experts, and educators, and pursue our mission on three fronts: Research & Policy: uncovering cutting-edge information about healthier products and health impacts; Data Tools: producing innovative software platforms that ensure product transparency and catalog chemical hazards; Education and Capacity Building: Fostering others’ capabilities to make informed decisions.
Critical Competencies for Success:
As the Health Impact Researcher, you will contribute to the body of research on products, chemicals, related health hazards, and the impacts those materials have on people and the environment, in particular the impacts on low-income communities and people of color. You will also be responsible for the foundational research, analysis, and writing of position papers and publications on materials, products and related health hazards as part of our research team and supporting the team.
Conduct original research into:
- The composition of products.
- The impacts these chemicals and materials may pose to human health and the environment, in particular on low-income communities and people of color.
- Market trends in product formulations and identify opportunities for safer products.
Support special initiative team in the execution of the Education and Community of Practice work plans:
- Assist with the development of education content and delivery plans.
- Collect user feedback to improve content and delivery.
- Manage logistics for working groups within Communities of Practice.
- Work with other staff to incorporate research content and chemical hazard data content into our education tools.
Author reports based on original research and research compiled by team members:
- Assists with editing and sourcing of publications as needed.
- Work with other members of the HBN team to produce high-quality and on-time deliverables.
- A degree in Chemistry, Biology, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, or related field.
- Experience in product specification, building and construction, product content, green chemistry, chemicals management, chemical hazards, chemical regulations, toxicology, investigative journalism or similar fields. 3 years’ experience is preferred.
- Experience in technical writing and communicating information to a wide range of audiences.
- Understanding of product formulations, material assemblies, building products, manufacturing processes is preferred.
- Experience with product, chemical, hazard and toxicity databases is preferred.
- Experience in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required. Experience in g-suite tools (gdoc, gsheet, gslides).
- Experience using time-management skills across multiple initiatives.
- Experience working with a virtual organization.
HBN is a nationally distributed organization, with staff working remotely from home or cooperative workspaces.
Comensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Apply online at Insperity Careers.