Be part of a non-profit organization that is making the world a healthier place. Healthy Building Network (HBN) is growing! We are seeking an experienced Materials Researcher.
HBN envisions a future where all people and the planet thrive when chemical hazards are eliminated. Our mission is to advance human and environmental health by improving chemical hazard transparency and inspiring product innovation. Since 2000, HBN has been the leading national organization to pioneer technology platforms, research, and policies that elevate human health and environmental justice to a top priority in the building industry.
Critical Competencies for Success:
The role of the Materials Researcher is to contribute to HBN's body of research on building products, chemicals, and related health hazards.
The Materials Researcher will be responsible for the foundational research, analysis, and writing of position papers and publications on building products, chemicals, and related health hazards as part of HBN's research team.
- Conduct original research into the composition of building products, and the hazards these chemicals and materials may pose to human health and the environment;
- Conduct research into market trends in product formulations and identify where opportunities for healthier products may exist;
- Conduct analysis of product data and assists with the selection of inherently safer building products
- Author reports based on original research and research compiled by HBN team members; assists with editing and sourcing of publications as needed
- Experience in technical writing and communicating information to a wide range of audiences is required.
- Understanding of product formulations, material assemblies, building products, manufacturing processes.
- Experience with LEED, Living Building Challenge or other green building rating systems.
- Experience with product, chemical, hazard and toxicity databases is preferred.
- Experience in microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) is required. Experience in g-suite tools (gdoc, gsheet, gslides) is preferred.
Preferred Work Experience:
- Experience in product specification, building and construction, product content, green chemistry, chemicals management, chemical hazards, chemical regulations, toxicology, investigative journalism or similar fields. At least three years experience is required.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic organization.
- Experience working with a virtual organization.
- A degree in chemistry, biology, materials science, chemical engineering or related field is required.
- A commitment to the principles and values that distinguish the work of the Healthy Building Network and a desire to contribute to the success of HBN's mission
- A passion for working in a fast-paced, team-oriented, ever-changing organization where your individual contribution will make an enormous difference to the success of the team and HBN.
While Minneapolis-Saint Paul location is preferred, location is flexible.
Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
HBN is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to age, race, color, religion or belief, gender identification, family or parental status.
How to apply: Email in PDF format a letter of interest, resume and writing samples or other portfolio projects to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls. Applications accepted until position is filled.