Chief Communications & Marketing Officer
Imagine a world free of hazardous chemicals, where people and the planet thrive. Healthy Building Network is on a path to creating just that, and to get there, we are seeking a Chief Communications and Marketing Officer (CCMO) to define, articulate and amplify our story and brand.
Over the next three years, HBN is positioned to double in size and diversify our scope to meet the rapidly expanding demand in the human and environmental health space. A paramount time to join our growing team, this CCMO will help clarify and articulate HBN’s mission to fuel the research, tools and solutions that inspire innovation toward healthier building products, resulting in healthier lives.
HBN is seeking an innovative and creative communications and marketing leader who will help ensure that HBN is communicating effectively with a variety of constituents, using a broad range of media to generate widespread understanding, engagement, and financial support for HBN’s vision. The CCMO will shape, nurture and grow effective and inclusive communications and marketing programs, using new as well as traditional platforms and strategies to showcase the HBN Mission. The CCMO will play a critical role in HBN’s growth strategy through strengthening the HBN brand, extending and expanding knowledge of the HBN mission. In addition, this CCMO will create scalable processes that ensure best practices in the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of communications and marketing activities to enhance the strategic direction and brand reputation of HBN.
As a hands-on member of the senior leadership team, the CCMO will be responsible for setting strategy, while also building out the communications and marketing department as organizational growth demands.
Critical Competencies for Success:
- Visionary Leadership: Focus on efficiency, effectiveness, innovation and continuous improvement with demonstrable results. Ability to think both tactically and strategically to develop and improve messaging and expand key audiences. A desire to actively engage in mentorship and development of staff. Ability to recruit, motivate, and retain a high-performance team.
- Relationship Builder: Exceptional relationship builder, internally and externally, with colleagues, funders, stakeholders, and staff. Accessible and responsive with the ability to provide the highest level of customer service. Interact effectively with people at all levels of the organization and a diverse array of external parties.
- Creativity and Innovation: Broad vision of the future of communications and marketing and assertiveness in taking risks and presenting and selling ideas, combined with an advanced sensitivity to the values and expectations of others. Thoughtful and well-articulated understanding of the competitive and everchanging national and international communications and marketing environment.
- Accountability and Initiative: Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of the work and digs in as needed to ensure results achieved. Focuses on desired outcomes and how best to achieve them in order to get the job done. Recognizes situations that warrant initiative and moves forward without hesitation; reasonably resolves issues, problems, or situation.
Mature and manage HBN’s brand and reputation. Work with the full organization to ensure consistency and inclusivity of messaging and proper management of brand assets.
- Provide strategic oversight of HBN’s website and all digital assets.
- Develop branding initiatives, internal and external communications.
- Create and launch press releases, marketing campaigns, and funding initiatives.
- Produce primary communications including an annual report, newsletters, marketing, collateral materials, video, and electronic communication including HBN’s website and news media.
- Create rich and creative content that is optimized for audience and search engines.
- Understand value proposition for our partners and customers, and effectively market our services and products.
- Secure, maintain and grow strong relationships with HBN’s partners and media to highlight our work and our solutions to pressing global challenges.
- Engage with the CEO and Founder/Board President to craft and execute a successful fundraising strategy and achieve strong results.
The ideal candidate is a non-profit and/or business professional with proven experience and demonstrable success in leading communications, marketing and/or fundraising within an organization. While no one candidate will have all the criteria enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Demonstrated success in the shape, nurture, and growth of the communications and marketing dept
- A visionary and forward-thinking leader; to develop and launch the go-forward strategy for HBN’s communications and marketing function
- A builder; to develop structure, procedure and best practices within the communications and marketing function; with a goal of expanding the team in the future
- An innovative and entrepreneurial leader; with a creative mindset to challenge the status-quo and explore new channels in the human and environmental health space
- A thought-leader and captivating storyteller, to narrate HBN’s journey in a way that expands their reach and drives greater impact
- A focused leader and project manager – to manage the day-to-day operations of the communications and marketing function; an ability to fly high and low as a leader
- A leader who will use their passion and conviction for human and environmental health to fuel disruption in the market, driving greater awareness and impact; a trailblazer
- Knowledge of product strategy; to understand and identify HBN’s audience and their needs
- An ability to build external partnerships – to both develop and leverage relationships in the market
- Demonstrates stewardship, by rolling up their sleeves and ensure the work gets done
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Demonstrated ability to creatively manage a budget and resources
- Successful record of publications and/or high-visibility media placements
- Effective marketing history
- Successful experience working in virtual office environments
HBN is a nationally distributed organization, with staff working remotely from home or cooperative workspaces.
How to Apply:
Download the full position profile here. For more information or to send your credentials, please email email@example.com
All inquiries will remain confidential.